Iquitos, Peru

Iquitos, Peru

Friday, November 19, 2010

Always an adventure....

So last week was incredibly crazy! We have been enjoying my parents visit and at the same time I have been so busy with the girls!  So  much has happened...I truly believe that every day here is an adventure waiting to happen. Last Saturday night as I was tucking my girls to bed, there was a horrible thunder storm. A bolt of lightning hit so close, it scared all of us to death! Unfortunately, out went our electricity and with that, our water. Sunday morning found us at the local water pump with bandejas so we would have water to make breakfast that morning and clean up. The way I see it, who needs a bicep work out when all you have to do is pump water!

 A few days later, after my parents came, I took the org.'s truck with my mom, aunt, Matthew and Kristi to a sanctuary so we could do a little bird watching. But, as usual, nothing goes as planned! As I was driving, I noticed a strange noise. And sure enough, our tire went flat on kilometer 13 on our way to Nauta, and try as I might, I couldn't figure out how to drop that spare from the bottom of the truck. Our guide, knew nothing of what to do, so we called Paul (who we now call our AAA service) and he helped us get back on the road.
The next day found us at the Bora tribe and up the Amazon river. We all had a wonderful time. That afternoon, while shopping at our little next door bodega for food items for our food baskets, Jess comes running in to tell me we have an emergency. One of our girls has fallen off the scooter, while trying to learn how to drive. I raced back over wondering what I would find. There is so much drama in a house full of girls that you really can't believe everything you hear. But, one look at Olga's right arm told me we were hospital bound again. Into the truck we go, to Iquitos hospital we head, wondering what kind of service we would find! Well, what an expereince that was. First we go in, we are immediately sent away with a slip of paper to pay for an x-ray. Then I get told I need to find the tech to see if they are here since there is a strike going on. Just then Camila came who is a pro at dealing with the hospitals. That left us waiting for the verdict. A while later, and much sadness and heartache witnessed in waiting outside of the hospital, Camila comes out to say that, yes, she has a broken arm and a dislocated elbow. Oh, and she will have to spend the night in the hospital. Out we go, back to the house to get her necessities, bowl, plate, sheets, clothes, etc. so she can be admited. Now it is raining. WE go and then come back again. Finally we leave her with Camila at the hospital, praying she wont need surgery and head back out to the house. Three girls on a dangerous dirt, road at 11:30 on a rainy night makes for quite a site. It didn't help that Elvira, one of our older girls spent her time telling us of different attacks she knows of that have happened to her and her brother! I drive as fast as the truck will take me on a muddy river we call our road! Praise the Lord for His protection, we made it back.  The next day we ended up sending her to the Ana Stahl clinic because they could do her surgery that day instead of waiting four days to fix her arm. She is now recouperating well....must say, the number of girls lining up to learn how to drive a scooter has dropped dramatically!

Oh, next morning found me at 5am waiting at the Posta, our local clinic, so that a couple of our girls can get seen by the Dr. You see, they only see 24 government insurance patients a day. So if you want to get seen for free, you get up early and wait 2 hours for the Doc. And that is exactly what I was doing. Like I said, always something!

I am sure there is more, but we will leave it at this for now. It is hard to believe that we leave in just two weeks. My heart is sad, there is so much that needs to be done. There are so many that need to be reached with the good news!
mom and dad on a motorkar

dancing with the Bora

tuckered after a day on the Amazon River

Aunt Lois, Mom and Matthew birding

Dad enjoying some time with Angel at worship
Uncle Don and Dad making Mangu breakfast for the girls...they didn't like it!

Delivering food baskets to families in Union. Mom and Dad's church donated money for this

Everyone was soooo grateful!

Our flat tire with our AAA service helping us out!
Jess and Elvira waiting at the hospital

Olga at the Ana Stahl Clinic waiting for surgery

Olga and her daughter Sarai before we leave for the night
Breann, our knew volunteer with Vivian

Mom and Aunt Lois as they leave the girls

Dad ,Uncle Don, and David as they leave

1 comment:

  1. I will recommend anyone looking for a Business loan to Mr Benjamin who helped me with a Four Million USD loan to start my business and it was fast. When obtaining a loan from them it was surprising how easy they were to work with.The process was fast and secure. It was definitely a positive experience.Avoid scammers on here and contact Mr Benjamin On. 247officedept@gmail.com . if you are looking for a business loan.

    ReplyDelete