Iquitos, Peru

Iquitos, Peru

Monday, May 10, 2010

Loving the jungle life!!!

We are truly enjoying the jungle life!!! We so far have seen some gorgeous birds, venomous snakes, beautiful greenery and wonderful people!  We went yesterday to the poorest section of Iquitos - Belen. There is a market there where everyone purchases their food. Farther down is the floating city...houses on the water.

These are just a few of the pictures of this market  and floating city! I wish I could describe the smells, the poverty, the total sadness of the situation in this town. We have sooooo much in the US, I never complain!!


The water you see here is FULL of the run off from the sewer that runs in the middle of the streets. Most everyone is running around barefoot!!

The rest of the time people run around all over town in what they call motocars! Always a crazy ride!!!

1 comment:

  1. These pictures are bursting with sensory detail and really pull the viewer into topics ans subtopics...what a mixture of emotions rose to my mind as I gazed at the colors, waters, foods, homes, and then tried to fit in concepts such as hygiene, safety, sanitation management, city development, and, and, and, and,...so much more...I am still trying to place some kind of structure to it in my mind.

    ReplyDelete